Interactive Design Firm's 5th Annual Guac Off
Another year, another guac off, and another amazing slew of recipes! This year we had eggs, asparagus, radishes and more snuck into the guacamole for that extra-special kick. But it was our User Experience Architect Alma Meshes who took home the gold with her amazing recipe for chocolate avocado truffles with chives, pink peppercorns and a cinnamon crisp. Yummy!
There is now discussion as to whether we need to rethink the rules (since chocolate truffles don't fit under the "guac" category) which currently state that the base ingredient should be avocados. Our Interactive Designer Zak Orner says changing the rules would stifle creativity, and after all, we are a creative firm! Watch video of the fun below:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large very ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups Hershey's baking cocoa (unsweetened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Hershey’s Special Dark baking cocoa (unsweetened)
- Hershey’s Milk chocolate icing (melted)
- Fresh chives Pink peppercorns Cinnamon Crisp (Store bought crescent rolls, rolled flat and covered in butter and cinnamon sugar. Follow baking directions on the package, cool and cut into small triangles)
- Small paper cups (optional)
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together vanilla extract, baking cocoa and powdered sugar.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter over low heat.
- In a food processor, mix melted butter and avocado together until smooth and there are no chunks of avocado left.
- Return butter and avocado mixture to sauce pan and slowly incorporate vanilla, cocoa and sugar mixture.
- Place truffle batter in the freezer for 2 – 4 hours or until set enough to roll into balls.
- Using a melon baller, small ice cream scoop or your hands, roll out balls approximately 3/4” in size. Immediately roll truffle in Hershey’s Special Dark baking cocoa. Place into individual paper cups. (This keeps storage container from getting chocolate all over it!) Return to freezer or refrigerator if the truffle batter gets too soft to form balls.
- To decorate, use melted chocolate icing as “glue” to hold 2 small chive pieces and 1 peppercorn in place. Place one cinnamon crisp per truffle in the paper cups.
- Refrigerate until ready to enjoy!
At Sandstorm Design, we know our way around an avocado, but we're also pretty good with the web too! Find out how we can help you with our unique blend of strategy, marketing, web design and usability services.