The QA Analyst is responsible for ensuring Sandstorm’s web sites, web applications, and other software applications meet the established standards of quality including functionality, reliability, usability and performance. The QA Analyst plays an important role in Sandstorm’s development process and works closely with the development, UX, and creative teams to ensure our digital applications meet the highest standards of quality through a well planned and executed testing process. In addition to leading Sandstorm’s quality assurance program, the QA Analyst assists the development team with technical and functional documentation, and assists the UX team with coordinating usability studies and user research.
- Conduct quality assurance testing, including functional, smoke, regression, negative testing, cross-browser testing and cross-device testing, using manual and some automated tests for software builds within CMS-driven websites and web applications.
- Create detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases.
- Analyzes and critiques UX, creative and technical documents to develop, execute and maintain test plans, test scenarios, test cases and test scripts in an Agile/Scrum team environment.
- Ensure all requirements/acceptance criteria are documented and test-able in the test scenarios.
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate testing activities.
- Manage several QA testing and assurance plans on multiple projects.
- Responsible for the overall quality assurance, control processes and quality documentation for the product.
- Identifies and logs enhancement requests and bugs in an issue tracker with detailed steps and screenshots to recreate the issue using Jira.
- Represents the business team and requirements while actively working with technical team to assist with issue resolution.
- Validate data quality.
- Collaborate with the business and development teams to troubleshoot and resolve defects and other related issues.
- Track and report on test status to the Scrum Master and Development Team.
- Provide input on go/no-go decisions for Sprint and production releases.
- Monitor software releases to identify changes that affect the platform, assess risk for each release, and write/execute test scripts appropriate for the acceptance of the release.
- Set up and maintain a device lab for cross-device testing.
- Draft quality assurance policies and procedures and implement quality assurance standards.
- Perform thorough regression testing when bugs are resolved.
- Identify process improvements.
- Assist with technical specifications and other engineering tasks as needed.
- Assist with proofing content where needed.
- Stay up-to-date on news and trends for browsers and devices.
- Stay up-to-date with new testing tools and test strategies.
What we’re looking for
- Experience working in a marketing/advertising agency setting
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent decision making ability with sound reasoning, analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent projects, activities and tasks under time constraints
- Experience with software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Solid understanding of both agile/scrum and waterfall approaches
- Proficiency with executing and coordinating integration, regression and user acceptance testing
- Proficiency in establishing/documenting/executing test strategies/plans/cases from business and functional requirements
- An understanding of all web browsers and familiarity of different mobile device market share, versions, and functionality
- Experience using software for specifying test requirements, planning tests, running tests and tracking defects - experience with JIRA is a huge plus
- An innovative spirit - the ability to develop, implement and improve innovative QA capabilities, approaches and services
- Strong communication skills both oral and written, excellent language, grammar, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be organized with strong attention to detail and be able to multi-task with frequent interruptions.
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced technical environment
- Ability to solve problems, identify solutions, and appropriately escalate issues
- Understanding of e-Commerce testing procedures
- ADA testing (A, AA, AAA) experience preferred
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university (preferred)
- One or more years of experience as a Quality Assurance (QA) Analyst within IT solutions or equivalent role, required
- One or more years of experience authoring test cases and manual testing, required
- Strong experience with writing test plans and executing manual testing to include: functional, smoke, regression, negative and mobile strategies, preferred
- Experience manually testing CMS systems
- Experience creating pages in CMS systems
- Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS
- CMS – Drupal 7 & 8, WordPress, Kentico 11 & 12
- Microsoft Office
- Google Suite
- Chrome, IE11, Edge, Safari, Firefox and mobile browsers
- Ghost Lab
- Screen Capture software
Additional Relevant Skills
- Experience performing API testing a plus
- Intermediate knowledge of Outlook, Excel and Word
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills - verbal and written
- Data collection, management and analysis
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Planning and organizing
- Customer service orientation
If this sounds like the right fit, apply online or email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If it’s not quite right for you, please share this opportunity with someone in your network.
We’re a high-energy Chicago-based user experience agency that does good work for good people (that’s our mission). We leverage strategic marketing, UX design, emerging technologies, and usability to create high-impact and compelling brand experiences. We work with large amazing brands (Blue Cross, CareerBuilder.com, American Medical Association, to name a few) and interesting niche players, too. If you want to do big agency digital work in a boutique environment, we’re the place for you.
WHO WORKS AT SANDSTORM?
At our core, we are a team of compulsive problem solvers and solution-seekers; always thinking about what could be and implementing it. We play well with others and have found that clients benefit most when all partners are aligned and working well together. This follows our “Yes and” philosophy of always listening and building upon ideas, no matter where they originate. Collaboration is in our cultural DNA.
WHAT ABOUT CULTURE?
Our team is constantly evolving and growing both as employees and as professionals in our industry. Job titles rarely do our staff justice. Our culture is grounded in our three core values:
- Be Curious – Continuous, collaborative improvement is fundamental.
- Warrior Spirit – We are a team and in it together. Persevere!
- Having Fun! – Showcased by our monthly “You Rocks!” and random Super Secret Sandstorm events.
We have amazing benefits too! Free snacks, beverages in the fridge, costume contests, super secret events, 4% match in your 401K, $50/month contribution into your HSA, great hours for work/life balance, paid volunteer days, company lunches, and your birthday is a day off here!
Local candidates only - no relocation assistance. This position will work from our Ravenswood neighborhood, Chicago, IL office.
US Citizen or green card holders only.
No recruiters, please.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.