The Jr UX Researcher is responsible for working with the UX and creative teams to create exceptional user experiences that fulfill user and client needs across a wide range of web and mobile experiences. This involves uncovering and understanding user and business goals and requirements, conducting user research, defining intuitive information architecture and navigation systems, wireframing and prototyping, conducting usability studies, and working with Sandstorm’s design and development teams to create and execute digital experiences that exceed client expectations. The Jr UX Researcher has a thorough understanding of user-centered design processes, usability best practices, and interaction design principles.
- Conduct in-depth user research to understand users’ needs, tasks, and goals and translate them into user stories and user requirements
- Organize and schedule user interviews and usability studies
- Co-create information architecture and navigation systems (wireframes and prototypes) for B2B and B2C transactional, informational, and member-based websites
- Organize, plan, prep and assist with usability studies, tree testing, and card sorting activities
- Participate in the development of user personas and scenarios to clarify results of the user research and focus the team's design efforts on the needs of key users
- Develop user flows and sitemaps
- Work within project budgets while meeting deadlines
- BS/BA degree or MS/MA in HCI, Human Factors, Interaction Design, Information Studies, Anthropology or equivalent professional work-related experience
- 1-2+ years professional related work experience (please include a url to your portfolio)
- Self-motivated, driven and collaborative
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Takes pride in the details no matter how small
- Positive attitude and insatiable hunger to learn
- Passion for designing solutions for complex business rules to create simple experience solutions that meet the needs of diverse user groups
- Keen understanding of usability principles, web standards, UI patterns and their application
- Proven ability to diplomatically advocate for the user and communicate informed design rationale and value
- Understanding of responsive and mobile design patterns
- Experience with industry-standard software such as Sketch, InVision or UXPin
- Experience using web analytics data to inform design decisions a plus
If this sounds like the right fit, apply online or email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If it’s not quite right for you, please share this opportunity with someone in your network.
Who works at Sandstorm?
At our core, we are a team of compulsive problem solvers and solution-seekers; always thinking about what could be and implementing it. We play well with others and have found that clients benefit most when all partners are aligned and working well together. This follows our “Yes and” philosophy of always listening and building upon ideas, no matter where they originate. Collaboration is in our cultural DNA.
What about Culture?
Our team is constantly evolving and growing both as employees and as professionals in our industry. Job titles rarely do our staff justice. Our culture is grounded in our three core values:
- Be Curious – Continuous, collaborative improvement is fundamental.
- Warrior Spirit – We are a team and in it together. Persevere!
- Having FUN! – Showcased by our monthly “You Rocks!” and Super Secret Sandstorm events!
We have amazing benefits too! Free snacks/beverages in the fridge, costume contests, 4% match in your 401K, $50/month contribution into your HSA, great hours for work/life balance, paid volunteer days, company lunches, and your birthday is a day off here!
Salary: $50k depending on portfolio and experience
Local candidates only - no relocation assistance. This position will work from our Ravenswood neighborhood, Chicago, IL office. Note: This position will be full-time remote as our office is closed to protect the health and safety of all employees.
US Citizen or green cardholders only.
No recruiters, please.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.